Featured News - Current News - Archived News - News Categories

Ceretto and Maziarz: Not in our community

by jmaloni
Wed, Feb 22nd 2012 05:05 pm

Assemblyman John Ceretto, R-I-Lewiston, and State Sen. George Maziarz, R-C-I-Newfane, today welcomed the news that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency will be transferring the 235 drums from the LeRoy Superfund site to a hazardous waste facility in Michigan. The materials had previously been destined for Lewiston before Maziarz and Ceretto intervened.

"I'm pleased that the EPA listened to our concerns and has decided to move this waste to a more suitable facility outside New York," Ceretto said. "The EPA's decision closes the door on these materials coming to the Lewiston-Porter area, a fact that should help local parents rest easier."        

"I welcome this decision," Maziarz said. "From the beginning, I have said that should the EPA find it necessary to remove these barrels for the public health and safety of the LeRoy community, any transfer to Lewiston would simply renew those concerns here in our own community. It wasn't a matter of where the waste was going, it was where it wasn't going - and it was never coming here, if I had anything to say about it. That door is closed."

Maziarz and Ceretto were made aware of attempts to bring the barreled contaminants from the LeRoy Superfund site to Lewiston on Friday, Feb. 3. The lawmakers, along with Lewiston Porter Superintendent of Schools Chris Roser, were able to successfully convince the EPA to look for alternatives.

comments powered by Disqus