Maziarz, Ceretto, Roser block transfer of materials from LeRoy Superfund Site to Niagara Countyby jmaloni
State Sen. George Maziarz, Assemblyman John Ceretto and Lewiston-Porter Superintendent Chris Roser announced Friday evening that attempts to relocate sensitive materials from the LeRoy Superfund Site to Niagara County were blocked and federal officials will have to look elsewhere.
Earlier in the day, after a press release from Congresswomen Kathy Hochul announcing the transfer of sensitive materials out of the LeRoy location, local officials learned that the materials were destined for the CWM facility located within one mile of the Lewiston-Porter School District.
"Niagara County will not serve as a dumping ground for other communities dangerous materials," Maziarz said. "If these materials are harmful in LeRoy four miles from a school district, why should we accept them just a mile away here in Lew-Port?"
"The decision to refuse the materials is the right one," Ceretto said. "Niagara County's residents should be assured that their state and local officials are working together to ensure that Niagara County isn't cleaning up another counties mess."
"Our first responsibility as a school district is the safety of our students," Roser said. "We all are aware of the situation in LeRoy, with that Superfund Site being the center of the discussion. We, of course, objected to the materials coming into close proximity to our students."
The decision to reject the materials came after discussions with CWM, who decided against handling the materials. The transfer of the materials had previously been announced as an agreement between the EPA and Hochul.