Featured News - Current News - Archived News - News Categories

Honorary International Peace Garden dedication

by jmaloni
Fri, Oct 7th 2011 10:30 pm

A popular Lewiston spot, located behind the historic Little Yellow House on Center Street, will receive the designation of an 1812 Bicentennial Honorary International Peace Garden on Saturday, Oct. 15. The designation is expected to attract international visitors as well as residents of the binational region. All will experience the natural beauty the garden provides, while commemorating the peace that has existed between Canada and the U.S. over the past 200 years.

The concept of a green space, located on the site of a former parking lot, had its start as a result of a partnership of the Village of Lewiston, the Lewiston Council on the Arts and the Niagara Falls Redevelopment Corporation.

In 2009, when plans were being developed for the War of 1812 celebrations, a group of eight area gardeners came together to work and develop the space, which is now a place of reflection and seasonal beauty. The half-acre garden contains trees, blooming plantings, a fountain, stage, sculptures, tables and benches and washroom facilities.

Many area businesses, organizations and individuals will be thanked for their generosity at the Oct. 15 event. Their names have been permanently inscribed on a bronze plaque, located at the entrance to the garden. The plaque is presented in memory of Emilyne S. Williams and is a gift from her sons.

The list of donors include the Village of Lewiston, the Lewiston Council on the Arts, the Lewiston Garden Club, Francine DelMonte, Hardison Funeral Homes, the Town of Lewiston, Niagara Falls Bridge Commission, First Niagara Bank, Kimmins Terrier Foundation, M&T Bank, Lewiston-Niagara-on-the-Lake Rotary Club, Norman and Dale Williamson, PSR Press, Bank of America, Niagara University, New York Power Authority, Peter Certo, Claudia Marasco, United Materials, American Waterworks Irrigation and Sevenson Environmental Services.

Gardeners involved in this project include M. Jacquie Lodico (Peace Garden chairwoman), Marasco, James Lodico, Barbara Carter, Pat MacDonald, Gene Kulbago, and Dale and Norman Williamson.

Commemorative bricks line the walkways, and are available for purchase at the Village of Lewiston offices.

comments powered by Disqus