On Nov. 29, the Ransomville Volunteer Fire Co. dedicated its brand-new, 2010 Wheeled Coach Ambulance to all those in the community firefighters serve.
The RFC volunteers first provided ambulance service in 1954 with a 1947 Buick station wagon and some members who had taken an American Red Cross first aid class. In 1963, they moved up to a brand-new Cadillac ambulance, purchased for $8,750. This unit was used until 1975 when a new, van-style ambulance was purchased with profits from bingo and donations from the community. 1975 also saw 15 members taking a class at Niagara County Community College and becoming certified as emergency medical technicians.
Today, the new ambulance cost $133,000, and the RFC volunteers have 13 EMTs and five certified in advanced life support. These volunteers respond to more than 300 calls per year and take great pride in the service they offer to the community. (photo by Wayne Peters)