Lewiston Public Library October programs, events, activities
Tue, Sep 28th 2010 05:00 pm
The Lewiston Public Library, 305 S. Eighth St., in the Village of
Lewiston, announces the following for the month of October.
- The Dead Beats Society meets on Monday, Oct. 4, at 6 p.m. Those
interested in assisting with the digitization process of the library's obituary
collection are welcome to attend. The project is sponsored by the Jon F. Popkey
Genealogy Room and is part of a continuing effort to allow easier access to
family history records. Call Michelle at 754-4720 for details, or e-mail
- The Lewiston Book Club will hold its next meeting on Tuesday,
Oct. 5, at 1:30 p.m. For further information, contact Anita Mallimo at
- Nickel City Reptiles will visit on Tuesday, Oct. 5, at 4:30 p.m.
and present an "Animals of the World" program. The program offers attendees an
up-close and personal look at some of the most rare and endangered animals of
the world. It is made possible through a donation from the Friends of the
Lewiston Public Library. Registration is required.
- The library's family movie matinee will feature "Marmaduke" on
Saturday, Oct. 16, at 1 p.m. Family Movie Night will feature "Harriet the Spy
Blog Wars" on Tuesday, Oct. 19, at 6 p.m. Movies are shown in the library's
recently upgraded Community Room. Popcorn and a drink will be provided.
- The Lewiston Writers' Group will meet on Monday, Oct. 18, from 5
to 8 p.m. at the Lewiston Public Library. The group consists of area residents
who meet regularly to discuss and critique their writing efforts and to exchange
ideas and information about the craft. Guest speakers are scheduled as
available. For more information, visit www.lewistonwritersgroup.com.
- Mom's Book Chat will meet Wednesday, Oct. 20, at 7 p.m.
Discussion will be on "Sarah's Key" by Tatiana De Rosnay. Child care is
provided for registered participants. The library will be closed to the public
during this event.
- The Knitting Club meets every Friday from 1 to 3 p.m. No
registration is required and knitters of all skill levels are welcome. For more
information, call Ellen Comerford at 754-4144.
- The Friends of the Lewiston Public Library maintain a used book
room all year long, open during library hours. Items for sale include books and
- October meetings for the month include the Lewiston Library board
of trustees, Monday, Oct. 4, at 5 p.m.; Friends of the Library, Tuesday, Oct.
12, at 6 p.m.; the Riverwalk Association, Monday, Oct. 25, at 5:15 p.m.; and
the Lake Ontario Ordnance Works Restoration Advisory Board, Tuesday, Oct. 26, at
- The Tail Waggin' Tutors program will be offered on Mondays, Oct.
4 and 18; Tuesdays, Oct. 5, 12, 19 and 26; and Saturdays, Oct. 16 and 23. Registration
is required. For further information, contact Miss Ann at [email protected] or
- Annette Wall and the Lewiston-Porter Middle School Builders Club
present a story hour on Saturday, Oct. 9, at 11 a.m. The program theme is
"Falling in Love with Books!"
- Miss Val's Pre-School Painting program will be offered on
Saturdays, Oct. 16, 23 and 30, at 11 a.m. The three-week program is for ages
- The Science Explorers Club meets on Tuesday, Oct. 5, at 4:30 p.m.
- The Go Green Club meets on Tuesday, Oct. 19, at 4:30 p.m.
Participants will be preparing newly planted trees for the winter. This is an
outside activity, so dress appropriately.
- The American Girl Club meets on Tuesday, Oct. 26, at 4:30 p.m.
Members will discuss Addy this month and are requested to read one of her
stories ahead of time; books are available at the library. Members will also
visit the Freedom Monument, discuss the Underground Railroad, and earn a Junior
Ranger Badge from the National Parks Department.
- Alphabet Soup with Miss Ann will be offered on Mondays, Oct. 4, 18
and 25, at 10:30 a.m. The story hour is for children ages 3 to 5.
- A new lap sit story time with Miss Ann is being offered for
children ages birth to 23 months. Sessions will take place on Wednesdays, Oct.
6, 13, 20 and 27, at 10 a.m. Featured will be music, finger plays, and stories,
with rhythm and rhyme, plus motion and movement with emergent literacy skills
- Toddler hour with Miss Ann, for children ages 24 months to 3
years will be held on Wednesdays, Oct. 6, 13, 20 and 27, at 11 a.m.
- Story time with Mrs. Leardini, for children of all ages, will be
offered on Thursdays, Oct. 7, 14, 21 and 28, at 10:30 a.m.
Call or stop by to register for all programs.
Library hours: Monday-Tuesday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.;
Wednesday-Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Friday, noon to 5 p.m.; and Saturday, 10
a.m. to 3 p.m.
The library will be closed on Monday, Oct. 11, in observance of
Columbus Day. Due to renovations, the library will be closed from Monday, Nov.
1 through Saturday, Nov. 6.
For further information, call the library, 754-4720, or visit